Share Your Thoughts and Memories

"Although we know that after such a loss the acute state of mourning will subside, we also know we shall remain inconsolable and will never find a substitute.  No matter what may fill the gap, even if it be filled completely, it nevertheless remains something else.  And actually, this is how it should be.  It is the only way of perpetuating that love which we do not want to relinquish."  --Sigmund Freud in a letter to a man who lost his son.


If you would like to share your thoughts, memories, stories, or photos of Joann, Kristin, or Zachary, or wish to offer your condolences to Chris and the Rumsey and Piano families, please send an email to rjpiano at yahoo.com

We will post them to this site as soon as we can.

Erika's Eulogy

Hello Friend

If there ever was person who impacted so many lives without even trying, it was Joann. When I first met Joann, it was the Hyatt. At our first meeting, I would never have guessed that she would be the person who would change my life and that we would become the best of friends. Quite honestly I thought she didn’t even like me. But that is the funny thing about her, she loved everyone and Never had an unkind word to say….I mean never
I was impressed by the way this little petite 23 year old carried herself. She was my supervisor at the Restaurant and was all business! She truly was a little powerhouse. There she was this college kid who barely weight 100 pounds and she carried herself like seasoned professional.
We were roommates in our 20’s – One year for Halloween we dressed up like Laverne and Shirley. It was so funny because that was how our friendship was, I was the silly erratic , drama girl and she was my smart, stable, logical, beautiful, sensitive friend-always taking the backseat to let others shine. She never needed the spotlight because she always glowed.
She opened her heart to me and never asked for anything in return. She expanded my horizons by opening my narrow little world to endless possibilities. We traveled so many places together and experienced the essence of where ever we were by drinking in the culture, enjoying great meals and wine, endless conversations and remaining open to the possibilities. One of my most memorable trips was the trip we took to Spain with our friend‘s Anthony and Angie. It was the greatest experience we could ever have….and we are so fortunate that we shared this with her.
Not only did I get to meet her brother Scott that trip, but she opened up and shared her entire family with me. They are all so generous and warm and took me in with open arms just because I was Joann’s friend. I would get to tag along with her on family vacations to Ockracoke and LBI and be a part of their family experience. Anyone who knows her family knows what an honor and privilege that is.
And then there was Chris…..I don’t know if anyone of you have ever seen love at first site….but I have witnessed it firsthand…. I was lucky enough to be there the night they met in New Brunswick. I like to think I helped to make it happen because I wrote down Joann’s number for Chris…..but the truth is they were meant to be and fate would have played a hand in getting them together regardless.
I got to see Joann become a great wife and mother. Kristen and Zachery were beautiful happy children. I am so lucky that she and Chris shared them with me. I was the honorary Aunt…She always called me Aunt Erika to the children…and I am so grateful for that.
Joann and I had a bond, we would not talk for days, weeks, months and nothing would ever change with our friendship. When I would call Joann, she would pick up the phone and Say “Hello Friend” and I would say “Hello friend!” It was the silly way we addressed each other…. Our term of endearment….I know I will never hear her voice again, but I do know that now anytime I need to speak to her….all I have to say is “hello Friend” and she will be there.

No comments: